Search This Blog

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Another Spawning Update

The last pair spawning on my last post did not yield any eggs as you may have read. He ate the eggs. I tried to get him and the same female to spawn again later on but that was another failure. He just beat her up so bad her belly was cut up and she dropped eggs despite all her advances to try and spawn with him.


Failed spawn images. Female in cup. Betta embrace.

After the female was fully healed and re-conditioned (she healed beautifully by the way) i added her with a different male. He was building nests for a while and i thought they would make lovely babies together. Well they spawned just fine. LOTS of eggs but after they were done and i removed the female, the father stopped caring for the eggs and let then drop from the nest.



New pair under bubble nest spawning. Blurry pic of dad. Pair in the tank they spawned in.

I decided to take the eggs away from him before he ate them all. I put the eggs in a separate tank and kept an eye on them. A lot of eggs in the end had fungus and had to be tossed but guess what? I actually had fry after all that! I wasn't home when they hatched or anything. By the time i saw them they were already free swimming. So right now i have about 25 or so betta fry. They have grown quite a bit. I'm not home right now but my mother and sister have been keeping an eye on them. I will see my little fishies tomorrow and i hope they look even bigger.

On July 4th was when i saw them free swimming so i wanna say its been a little over a week since they hatched. I've had many spawns but this is my first batch of fry! i hope they make it to adulthood and i hope to get many more batches of fry in the future even if they are small.


No comments:

Post a Comment